It is time for those who served in Crown to be recognised.
It is very unlikely that our government will recognise fully the contribution made by those who served on Operation and Post Operation Crown.
The Australian government awarded the "Australian Active Service Medal 1945-1975" to 2 Field Troop, RAE (Who at the time formed part of 11Independant Field Squadron RE) for Active Service, at Ban Kok Talat on Operation Crown (25/6/65-31/8/68). They were there at the same time and doing the same job as the British service men.
1. Ribbon is same as Thai flag but on its side.
2. Struck in a a bronze finish.
3. Face has the embossed words, “OPERATION CROWN” “THAILAND” “1963” “1968” and a embossed facsimile of the Thai "Great Crown of Victory" at its centre. (A similar design as the Crown Association blazer badge)
4. The rear has the embossed words, “FOR SERVICE WITH UK ARMED FORCES IN SUPPORT OF S.E.A.T.O. ON OPERATION CROWN LOENG NOK THA, THAILAND 1963 – 1968”. surrounded by a laurel leaf wreath
5. Perhaps a "Bar" on the ribbon denoting the unit served with i.e. "CRE (Works) Crown" - "11 Ind Fld Sqn RE" - "59 Fld Sqn RE" etc'.
The medal design has been sent to the MOD awards department ,Thai Embassy and also to the Royal British Legion for their endorsement.
Hopefully the medal will be available soon.
When it is ready, it will be available through the Operation Crown Association, so watch this web site also the Op Crown Association site at http://www.creopcrown.co.uk/ and the Op Crown chat forum at http://opcrownchat.myfastforum.org/index.php